5 Top Reasons to Recycle Clothes
Why Recycle Clothes?
There are lots of reasons! We create mountains of discarded garments around the world. It is alarming, as we are talking about clothing that can take hundreds of years to decompose.
The Catch 22
- When clothing isn’t recycled, we need to produce more and that means, more pollution in the production process.
- The process starts with growing the natural fibres, like cotton. The production of cotton destroys farmland and pollutes waterways. In fact, 22.5% of all agricultural insecticides and 10% of all pesticides used each year go into cotton farming. It is estimated that the production of one cotton t-shirt requires one-third of a pound of pesticides.
- These pesticides enter our ground water and streams and affect birds, bees, animals, the farm workers eventually all of us.
- The dyes used are often extremely toxic and are often discarded unfiltered into the ocean and rivers
- Synthetic materials are even worse. They’re made from petrochemicals, a by product of oil refining which increases our need and reliance on oil and increases harmful pollution and again affects us all.
The light at the end of the tunnel!
You can make a difference!
When you recycle, you conserve not only raw materials and natural resources, but your actions has far reaching positive consequences. Less has to be grown or extracted, refined, transported and processed, saving resources and energy. Less energy used means a smaller carbon footprint, less greenhouse gases and emissions.
When you recycle your old clothing with 2nd Take, we even give you money back! Help recycle, make someone else’s day, who will love to buy your designer fashion item and create win-win situations all around.